- 1 What Is the Difference Between a Maid Service and a Housekeeper?
- 1.1 What is a maid?
- 1.2 What is a housekeeper?
- 1.3 Housekeeper Job Description
- 126.96.36.199 Hiring a Cleaning Company VS an Individual Cleaner
- 188.8.131.52 Cleaning Business Software
- 184.108.40.206 Cleaning Business Starter Kit
- 220.127.116.11 Cleaning Company Names
- 18.104.22.168 Apartment Cleaning Prices
- 22.214.171.124 starting a residential cleaning business
- 126.96.36.199 Move In Cleaning Checklist
- 188.8.131.52 How Much to Charge For House Cleaning
- 184.108.40.206 How To Get Clients For A Cleaning Business
- 220.127.116.11 Starting a Cleaning Business Checklist
- 18.104.22.168 Limpieza de Casas
- 22.214.171.124 How to Deep Clean Your House
What Is the Difference Between a Maid Service and a Housekeeper?
What is the difference between a maid and a housekeeper?
There is no right or wrong answer to that question. The connotation of the two terms has changed over the years, and continues to evolve depending where you live.
Surely you are somewhat confused with these terms, but first of all we must know the real meaning of each word to understand a little the differences.
Here are the different takes on the terms and their meanings.
What is a maid?
The meaning of “Maid” According to Merriam Webster, is:
- an unmarried girl or woman especially when young: a girl or woman who is not married (The word “maid” itself is short for “maiden”)
- woman or girl employed to do domestic work. a female servant; especially : a woman or girl who does cleaning work in a house or hotel.
If you realize both meanings refer to a woman, and usually in the past the word “Maid” was used more to refer to the cleaning girl. In the past, a maid was considered the cleaning girl and for some reason was considered a “low class” job.
The definition and use of the word “Maid” also seems to be changing and fading as time goes by.” S-he feels the term has a derogatory feel, as -if you are referring to a servant. “People are using “maid service” less and “home cleaning” or “cleaning service” more.
In Victorian England, all middle class families would have “help”, but for most small households, this would be only one employee, the maid of all work, often known colloquially as “the girl”. Maids perform typical domestic chores such as laundry, ironing, cleaning the house, grocery shopping, cooking, and caring for household pets.
What is a housekeeper?
The meaning of “Housekeeper” According to http://www.dictionary.com/, is:
- a person, often hired, who does or directs the domestic work and planning necessary for a home, as cleaning or buying food.
- an employee of a hotel, hospital, etc., who supervises the cleaning staff.
Unlike the word “maid” the word “housekeeper” is a little clearer in its meaning, it is more obvious that it refers to the maintenance of cleanliness and some other things in the home.
If you want to refer to the girl or a cleaning company, the most common is to refer as my “housekeeper” we refer to this because the meaning of this word is the most correct.
The title of someone whose profession it is to clean homes progressed from “maid” to “housekeeper.” Today, some people who clean houses may even be offended to be referred to as maid, (in our case no, in fact our business name includes “maid service”)
Housekeeper Job Description
Housekeepers are responsible for making sure all assigned areas of the home are clean, neat, and tidy. This includes any indoor household cleaning and organizing tasks assigned by the employer and may regularly include cleaning “projects” (e.g., cleaning and organizing a messy closet).
Typical responsibilities include vacuuming, dusting, laundry, mopping and waxing floors and changing and laundering linen. Some housekeeper positions also require cooking or food preparation and heavy cleaning, like cleaning windows and furniture.
In these times to look for cleaning services the companies adored both terms, “maid service and housekeepers” can be a cleaning company that provides those services, so it is the same whatever you call them.
Whether a maid or a housekeeper, it’s clear the meaning is a matter of perception.
However if you are thinking to hire a housekeeper here is what you need to know before hiring your housekeeper or maybe you wonder what are the house cleaning service prices the cost of hiring a cleaning company?